Andhra Pradesh

Andhra Gas Leak: 95 Factory Workers Fall Sick, CM Jagan Orders Safety Audit Of Industries

The Chief Minister ordered the officials to take the incident seriously and form a high-level committee to probe the gas leak.

Andhra CM Jagan
File photo of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy. (Source: PTI /File)

New Delhi: After a gas leak in a factory in Anakapalle district of Andhra Pradesh led to nearly hundred people getting hospitalised, Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy on Wednesday ordered a safety audit in all the industries of the state. He ordered the officials to take the incident seriously and form a high-level committee to probe the gas leak.

The Chief Minister also reviewed the situation with the officials and enquired about the medical assistance being provided to the victims. He also ordered focus on the measures to be taken to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.

At least 95 workers of an apparel manufacturing unit in the Brandix Special Economic Zone at Atchyutapuram near Visakhapatnam fell sick due to what was suspected to be a mysterious gas leak. The workers reported nausea and vomiting after they inhaled a pungent gas that filled the air at the manufacturing unit on Tuesday night.

ALSO READ: Kerala Rains: Red Alert Declared In 3 Districts, Over 4,000 Evacuated From Flood-Prone Areas

They were undergoing treatment in hospitals in Anakapalli, Atchyutapuram and Visakhapatnam.

Following the incident, the opposition parties slammed the state government over its alleged failure to prevent such mishaps. It was a second such incident in two months after the one on June 3 in the same place where more than 300 women workers fell unconscious after complaining of eyesores, nausea and vomiting.

On June 3, it was suspected that ammonia gas leaked from a nearby Porus Laboratories unit. A team of experts from the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology in Hyderabad visited the lab and conducted tests to determine the cause of the leak while the Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board ordered the closure of the lab.

The Porus lab was shut down for a few days after the mishap but soon resumed activities. Subsequently, the APPCB as well as the government did not reveal the cause of the incident.