×

Covid-19

Covid-19 Update: Public entry for Wagah Border Retreat Ceremony Suspended Again

The entry resumed last November after being remained suspended for 20 months because of COVID-19.

Attari: Border Security Force personnel during the beating retreat ceremony at the Attari-Wagah border, Friday, Sep 17, 2021. BSF has opened the entry of spectators for the beating retreat ceremony but with limitation of only 300 persons on a first come first serve basis. (PTI Photo)

New Delhi: Border Security Force (BSF) on Wednesday again suspended the entry of public at the daily flag-lowering retreat ceremony along the India-Pakistan border in Attari because of rising COVID-19 cases, said a senior BSF officer.

The entry resumed last November after being remained suspended for 20 months because of COVID-19. BSF said that in view of the COVID-19 situation in the country and the latest guidelines issued from the office of the District Magistrate, Amritsar on December 4 through which restrictions have been enforced for the public.

BSF authorities have reviewed the situation and taken a final decision to stop the entry of the public to witness the “Retreat Ceremony” at Joint Check Post Attari with immediate effect. The entry of the public for the ceremony was resumed on September 15 last year after remaining suspended since March 7, 2020.

On January 5th India reported 58,097 fresh Covid-19 cases all across the country, out of which 15,389 total recoveries were reported, 534 deaths were also reported so far, as informed by Health Ministry.

Many states have taken precautionary measures to curb the coronavirus infection as there was a huge surge in the cases were reported lately.

ALSO READ: Omicron Spread Could Lead To ‘Newer’ And ‘More Dangerous’ Variants, Warns WHO