New Delhi: South Africa head coach Mark Boucher has revealed why AB de Villiers decided not yo come out of his international retirement. The former SA cricketer said that de Villiers was worried that he might take up someone else’s spot in the national squad, who actually deserved the go.
On Tuesday, Cricket South Africa (CSA) official announced that former Proteas cricketer AB de Villiers will not be coming out of retirement as the batsman has opted “once and for all” that his call for retire remains final.
“Discussions with AB de Villiers have concluded with the batsman deciding once and for all that his retirement will remain final,” CSA said in an official statement.
“AB has his reasons, which I respect. Unfortunately he’s no longer in the mix. I say unfortunately because I think we all agree that he’s still one of the best – if not the best – T20 players in world cricket,” Boucher was quoted as saying in The Citizen, as reported by ESPNcricinfo.
“But he alluded to being concerned about coming in ahead of other players who have been a part of the system. I don’t think it sat well with him, which I understand. But as a coach, I needed to try and get our best players, for the team and the environment. AB is an energy booster in any environment, but I respect his reasoning. It was worth a go, but now let’s move forward,” he added.
Back in May 2018, AB de Villiers had retired from international cricket, however, there have been multiple suggestions that “Mr 360 degree” could make a surprise comeback for the upcoming T20 World Cup.
The star right-handed batter previously wanted to make a return for the 2019 Cricket World Cup, however, his discussions with CSA did not go to plans and he was not able to make a comeback.