Ollie Robinson Suspended From International Cricket Over Racist, Sexist Social Media Posts

Ollie Robinson Suspended From International Cricket Over Racist, Sexist Social Media Posts England cricketer Ollie Robinson has been suspended from International Cricket (Photo Credit: ECB on Twitter)

New Delhi: England and Sussex pacer Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all three formants of international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following old tweets that he had posted in 2012 and 2013, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Sunday (local time).

As a result of the above-mentioned suspension, the ECB also added that Robinson will not be available for selection for England’s second Test against New Zealand starting at Edgbaston from June 10.

The English pacer will leave the England camp at once and return to his county, the ECB statement also added.

ALSO READ: World Test Championship Final: ICC Clarifies Follow-On Rule for India vs New Zealand Match

Previously, England debutant Ollie Robinson has “unreservedly apologise” for his old “racist and sexist” posts on Twitter over eight years ago as a teenager. Robinson did admit that he is “ashamed” of making the racist remarks as his 2012-2013 tweets resurfaced on social media.

“On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist,” the 27-year-old had said in a statement released by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

“I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I was thoughtless and irresponsible, and regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets,” he added.

Tom Harrison, ECB chief executive officer, had earlier said that the board has a “zero-tolerance” stance towards any form of discrimination and had added they will initiate a full investigation as part of their disciplinary process.

ALSO READ: Mohammad Amir could still represent Pakistan, says PCB CEO Wasim Khan

“I do not have the words to express how disappointed I am that an England Men’s player has chosen to write tweets of this nature, however long ago that might have been,” said Harrison.

“Any person reading those words, particularly a woman or person of colour, would take away an image of cricket and cricketers that is completely unacceptable. We are better than this. We have a zero-tolerance stance to any form of discrimination and there are rules in place that handle conduct of this nature. We will initiate a full investigation as part of our disciplinary process,” he added.

For the latest News, Breaking News, Top News, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and YouTube