New Delhi: Seri Lankan cricket players on Saturday (June 5) refused to sign the contract offered by the cricket board citing a lack of transparency. The players also said that the contract excluded some deserving performers. In a collective statement, the players said that they have “decided not to sign the tour contract for the forthcoming tour of England and neither will they enter into any future contracts for tours”.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) had given the players time till June 3 to sign the deadline.
Contracts were offered in four different categories with annual retainership ranged between USD 70,000 to 100,000.
Dhananjaya De Sliva was set to be the highest-paid player.
At the height of the dispute and negotiations last month the players said remuneration proposed to players was more than 3 fold lower than payments made to players of other counties according to information received from the Federation of International Cricket Association (FICA).
Sri Lanka is expected to tour England from June 18 to July 4, where they will play three ODIs and an equal number of T20 Internationals.
The players were also not happy about the public disclosure of their contracts.
Players claimed that the SLC decision had affected their self-confidence and peace of mind.
However, chairman of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) Aravinda de Silva defended the decision.
He said it was a “harsh decision based on the past performances of the players as Sri Lanka’s international ranking in all 3 formats had nose-dived.”
With inputs from PTI