New Delhi: The popular game Battlegrounds Mobile India has been removed from Google Play and Apple App Store on Thursday. The game which was launched in 2021 was removed due to a government order.
The reason behind the ban is yet to be ascertained. The IT ministry has not said anything about the ban. The publisher of the game Krafton has confirmed the ban and said that it is talking to the authorities and trying to seek clarification regarding the ban.
“On receipt of the order, following the established process, we have notified the affected developer and have blocked access to the app that remained available on the Play Store in India”, Google said in a statement. Apple has not said anything about the ban so far.
However, the game is still playable on the installed devices. Although the game cannot be installed again if it is uninstalled once. Meanwhile the BGMI apk file can be extracted from other devices in which the game is already installed. The apk file can be shared and used.
According to PTI, Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar on July 22 said law enforcement agencies are probing the matter. The minister also assured that its previous iteration, PUBG Mobile remains banned in India from 2020.
The ban on BGMI comes two years after India banned PUBG, a similar title from the game developer Krafton. PUBG was banned due to its affiliation with Chinese publisher Tencent Games. After the game was banned in India, Krafton cut its ties with Tencent Games.
In September 2020, the Government imposed a ban on PUBG along with 117 other mobile apps following the prolonged border standoff between the two Asian neighbours.