China on Friday recognized four of its soldiers who died in the deadly Galwan Valley clash with the Indian Army on June 15, 2020. The deadly clashes, which lasted for a couple of hours, resulted in the deaths of 20 Indian soldiers, and have been a bone of contention between the two Asian neighbours, ever since.
“Four Chinese soldiers, who were sacrificed in last June’s border conflict, were posthumously awarded honorary titles and first-class merit citations, Central Military Commission announced Friday. A colonel, who led them and seriously injured, was conferred with honorary title,” said China affiliated media outlet People’s Daily in tweet, on Friday (February 19).
Four Chinese soldiers, who were sacrificed in last June's border conflict, were posthumously awarded honorary titles and first-class merit citations, Central Military Commission announced Friday. A colonel, who led them and seriously injured, was conferred with honorary title. pic.twitter.com/Io9Wk3pXaU
— People's Daily, China (@PDChina) February 19, 2021
The development comes after 9 rounds of Corps level talks and months of negotiations that India held with its Chinese counterparts. The Chinese side had been in denial over the casualties in the border clashes and this was the first time it had acknowledged that it did too lose lives in the border skirmishes.
Another Chinese government media outlet, Global Times confirmed the news in tweet earlier this morning, “China on Friday unveiled, for the first time, names and detailed stories of four martyrs who sacrificed their lives in the border confrontation with India in the Galwan Valley in June 2020, to commemorate their sacrifice for defending national sovereignty and territory.”
The Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on February 11, said India and China have agreed to completely disengage along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and assured that India has not conceded anything during the discussions. “I want to assure this House that in these talks we have not conceded anything, ” Rajnath said while delivering a statement in Rajya Sabha on Thursday (February 11).
Earlier this month, Russian news agency TASS had claimed that 45 Chinese soldiers were killed in the clashes at the Galwan Valley.
Rajnath Singh in his Rajya Sabha speech revealed that both the countries have reached an agreement to diengage their troops from the northern and southern banks of Pangong lake. As per the Defence Ministry, Chinese troops would move back to the east of the Finger 8 while the Indian side would go to its Dhan Singh Thapa post near Finger 3, after months of a standoff.