New Delhi: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Sunday said the depression of Cyclone Asani will be over the southeast Bay of Bengal and the adjoining south Andaman Sea. It will intensify further into a deep depression during the next 24 hours.
The depression of Asani will be over the South-East Bay of Bengal and adjoining the south the Andaman Sea, moving to North-North Eastwards at a speed of 12 kmph in around the first six hours on Sunday, March 20. It is likely to move nearly Northwards along and off Andaman and Nicobar islands, Intensify into a deep depression during the next 24 hours and into a cyclonic storm during subsequent 12 hours.
Here is a list of possible impacts created by the cyclonic storm Asani on the impacted areas.
- Breaking of tree branches and uprooting of small trees.
- Partial disruption of power and communication lines.
- Localized Flooding of roads, inundation and water logging in low lying areas.
- Occasional reduction in visibility due to heavy rainfall.
- Disruption of traffic due to water logging in roads leading to increased travel time.
- Adverse impact on marine and tourist activities along the coasts.
- Damage to kutcha roads.
- Possibilities of damage to vulnerable structures.
- Localized Landslides/Mudslides
- Damage to horticulture and standing crops in some areas due to squally wind and inundation
IMD has released some guidelines for the actions of people during the cyclonic storm. The suggested actions can be taken notice by the people in the affected areas.
- Total suspension of fishing and tourism activities during 19th to 22nd March.
- Avoid going to areas that face the water logging problems often.
- People are advised to be in safe areas and avoid staying in vulnerable structures.
- Regulate off-shore activities from 19th and suspension of off-shore activities during 20th to 22nd March.
- Regulate air-traffic on 20th and 21st March, 2022.
- Check for traffic congestion on your route before leaving for your destination.
- Follow any traffic advisories that are issued in this regard