New Delhi: The Delhi government on Wednesday announced a complete ban on firecrackers ahead of the festival season. The decision was taken keeping in mind the air pollution situation during festivals, especially Diwali, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said. The measure he said is being taken to save lives.
“In view of the dangerous condition of Delhi’s pollution during Diwali for the last 3 years, like last year, a complete ban is being imposed on the storage, sale and use of all types of firecrackers. So that people’s lives can be saved,” he said.
Storage, sale and bursting of crackers are prohibited under the Delhi government’s latest order on the complete ban.
Kejriwal said last year the traders had suffered losses as the ban was imposed after they had stocked firecrackers. Hence, this year the Delhi government has taken an early call and appealed to the traders to not stock firecrackers.
“It is an appeal to all the traders that this time in view of the complete ban, do not stock firecrackers,” he wrote in Hindi.