New Delhi: Dining at restaurants in Delhi may be banned in new COVID curbs, however, the facility of home delivery and takeaway can continue to run from the restaurant. A DDMA meeting is underway and it might come up with more strict restrictions to curb the rise of COVID-19 cases in Delhi.
The national capital currently announced weekend curfew and asked private and government officials to cut 50 per cent workforce and work from home till further notice.
Delhi on Sunday reported 22,751 new COVID-19 cases and 17 deaths in the last 24 hours, as compared to yesterday’s 20,181 cases. The Capital reported the most number of COVID deaths in a day since June 16 last year. The tally of the active cases in the city has now reached 60,733 cases.
Delhi on Saturday reported 20,181 cases and seven deaths of COVID-19 with positivity rate of 19.6 per cent. The capital on Friday reported 17,335 new COVID-19 cases and nine deaths, witnessing a 15 per cent rise as compared to Thursday’s 15,097 cases.
Addressing media, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that there is no need to panic as the capital will not see any lockdown if people continue to wear masks and follow all the COVID-19 protocols.
He further said, “COVID cases are rapidly rising, about 22,000 cases are expected in today’s health bulletin. However, increasing cases are concerning but there’s no need to be scared. I am saying so after analysing (comparing) data from the last wave.”
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi also on Sunday chaired a meeting to review the COVID-19 situation in the country amid surge in cases. The meeting came amid a frightening surge in daily new cases of the coronavirus. Nearly 1.6 lakh cases were reported in the last 24 hours earlier this morning – a massive spike from the 27,553 seven days ago.
The review meeting was attended by top health experts, comes as India witnessed a massive spike in daily COVID cases triggered by the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus.
(With Inputs from PTI)