New Delhi: Draupadi Murmu, the NDA candidate, was elected as the 15th President of India on Thursday. Pitted against joint Opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha, Murmu won the Presidential Elections 2022 by a huge margin of votes.
With her win, she becomes the first tribal woman to occupy the top constitutional post in the country. Murmu succeeds incumbent Ram Nath Kovind, whose tenure is set to end on July 24.
NDA nominee Murmu crossed the 50 per cent mark after the third round of counting to emerge victorious in the poll over her rival Sinha. The counting of votes for the Presidential election began at 11 AM at the Parliament House.
Congratulating Murmu, Yashwant Sinha said, “I hope — indeed, every Indian hopes — that as the 15th President of India she functions as the Custodian of the Constitution without fear or favour. I join my fellow countrymen in extending best wishes to her.”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed confidence that Draupadi Murmu will make an “outstanding” President. Modi visited Murmu’s temporary residence here to congratulate her and said she has emerged as a ray of hope for citizens, especially the poor, the marginalised and the downtrodden. BJP president JP Nadda also met Murmu to congratulate her.
In a series of tweets, PM Modi said, “India scripts history. At a time when 1.3 billion Indians are marking Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, a daughter of India hailing from a tribal community born in a remote part of eastern India has been elected our President!”
“Draupadi Murmu Ji’s life, her early struggles, her rich service and her exemplary success motivates each and every Indian. She has emerged as a ray of hope for our citizens, especially the poor, marginalised and the downtrodden,” he said.
Presidential Election Results 2022: Top Developments
– Defence Minister Rajnath Singh congratulates Draupadi Murmu on being elected the President. “She has been active in working for welfare of villages, poor, deprived. Rising amidst them she has reached highest constitutional post today. This is the proof of power of India’s democracy,” he says.
– Murmu Crosses 50% Mark: NDA Presidential candidate Droupadi Murmu crosses the 50% mark of total valid votes at the end of the third round of counting. She is set to become the President of the country.
– Third Round Results: Widening the gap, Draupadi Murmu gets 812 votes and Yashwant Sinha gets 521 in the third round of voting.
– Murmu Leads With 1,349 Votes, Sinha Bags 537 Votes: Including the results of first and second round, the grand total so far is 1,886 valid votes valued at 6,73,175, out of which Draupadi Murmu gets 1,349 votes valued at 4,83,299. Yashwant Sinha gets 537 votes, valued at 1,89,876 so far, says PC Mody.
– Droupadi Murmu Leads 2nd Round Too: “After 2nd round, where ballot paper of first 10 states were alphabetically counted – total valid votes 1138 and their total value 1,49,575. Out of this, Draupadi Murmu gets 809 votes valued at 1,05,299 and Yashwant Sinha gets 329 votes valued at 44,276,” says PC Mody, Secretary Gen, Rajya Sabha.
– First Round Results: Draupadi Murmu has secured 540 votes with a value of 3,78,000 & Yashwant Sinha has secured 208 votes with a value of 1,45,600. A total of 15 votes were invalid. These are figures for Parliament (votes), please wait for next announcement: PC Mody, Secretary General, Rajya Sabha
– Celebrations held at Odisha’s Rairangpur village, the native place of NDA’s presidential candidate Draupadi Murmu.
The Bharatiya Janata Party hosted a mega ‘Abhinandan Yatra’, which was attended by hundreds of leaders and workers, after the counting of votes for presidential poll. The elated party workers waved tricolours and danced to the sound of ‘dhol-nagadas’. The yatra was taken out from BJP’s Delhi unit office at 14, Pant Marg, and scores of men and women from the party cadres marched to the Rajpath. The party workers chanted slogans and raised placards bearing images of Murmu and the Rashtrapati Bhavan.