New Delhi: Shiv Sena MLA Eknath Shinde, who led a rebellion against the Uddhav Thackeray government, was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra on Thursday. BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis made the surprise announcement after meeting Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari to stake claim to form the government. The Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government fell on Wednesday night as Uddhav Thackeray stepped down from the post of Chief Minister minutes after the Supreme Court allowed the floor test of the government in the state Assembly.
“Eknath Shinde to be the Maharashtra Chief Minister, oath ceremony to be held at 7.30 pm today,” BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis announced in a joint press conference with Shinde.
“After the swearing-in ceremony today, we will have a Cabinet expansion and Shiv Sena and BJP leaders will take the oath. I will stay out of the government,” said Fadnavis.
Eknath Shinde Swearing-in: LIVE Updates
– NCP chief Sharad Pawar also extended his wishes to Shinde. “I spoke with Eknath Shinde and extended my greetings. I also expressed my expectations that the ‘head of a state’ would lead the entire state and not just a party. You might represent a party, but after oath you represent the state. So, I expect him to work to resolve issues of all department.”
“I think Uddhav Thackeray gives complete responsibility once he trusts someone. He showed the same trust in Eknath Shinde and gave him the responsibility for Vidhan Sabha and the party. I don’t know if it is a result of that,” said Pawar.
Doubting that Fadnavis has happily accepted the position of Deputy Chief Minister, Pawar said, “I don’t think Devendra Fadnavis has accepted the number 2 position of Deputy CM happily. It can be seen on his face. But he had lived in Nagpur, it is his ethos as an (RSS) swayamsevak, so he accepted the position.”
– The Maharashtra Cabinet has decided to call special session of state Assembly for two days — July 2 and 3. On the first day of the session, Speaker elections will be completed as the post is vacant since Nana Patole’s resignation.
– Former Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray also took to Twitter to congratulate Shinde and Fadnavis: “Congratulations to the newly appointed Chief Minister of Maharashtra @mieknathshinde ji and Deputy Chief Minister @Dev_Fadnavis ji for the future. I wish you do a good job in Maharashtra!”
– Eknath Shinde changed his Twitter display picture to one with Shiv Sena founder Balasaheb Thackeray.
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended his wishes to Eknath Shinde, the newly elected Chief Minister of Maharashtra. “I would like to congratulate Shri @mieknathshinde Ji on taking oath as Maharashtra CM. A grassroots level leader, he brings with him rich political, legislative and administrative experience. I am confident that he will work towards taking Maharashtra to greater heights,” he said.
Congratulating Deputy Chief Minister Fadnavis, PM Modi said, “Congratulations to Shri @Dev_Fadnavis Ji on taking oath as Maharashtra Deputy CM. He is an inspiration for every BJP Karyakarta. His experience and expertise will be an asset for the Government. I am certain he will further strengthen Maharashtra’s growth trajectory.
– Devendra Fadnavis takes oath as the Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
– Newly elected Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde takes oath of office and secrecy.
– Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde and BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis to shortly take oath as the Chief Minister and Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
– Union Home Minister Amit Shah announced that Fadnavis has agreed to be the Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra. “At the behest of BJP President Shri J P Nadda, Devendra Fadnavis, has decided to join the government in the interest of the state of Maharashtra and the people. This decision is a sign of his true loyalty and service towards Maharashtra. For this I heartily congratulate him,” he said.
– BJP requests Devendra Fadnavis to become the Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Party national president JP Nadda says Fadnavis should become the Deputy CM.
– “BJP has 120 MLAs but despite that Devendra Fadnavis didn’t take the post of CM. I express my gratitude to him along with PM Modi, Amit Shah and other BJP leaders that they showed generosity and made Balasaheb’s Sainik (party-worker) the CM of the state,” says Eknath Shinde.
– Won’t Be Part Of Govt: Fadnavis | Announcing that only Eknath Shinde will take oath today, Fadnavis said, “I will not be a part of this government but will ensure support.”
– Shiv Sena Insulted People’s Mandate In 2019: Fadnavis | Addressing the media after meeting Governor Koshyari, Fadnavis said, “In 2019, BJP and Shiv Sena had an alliance and we got required numbers in Assembly elections. We hoped to form the govt but Shiv Sena chose to get into an alliance with those against whom Balasaheb protested throughout his life.”
“Shiv Sena formed an alliance with those who are against Hindutva and Savarkar. Shiv Sena insulted the mandate of the people,” ANI quoted him as saying.
“On one hand, Shiv Sena opposed Dawood (Ibrahim) and on the other hand, they kept such a man in the Cabinet who went to jail on allegations of helping Dawood,” he said.
– Shinde, Fadnavis Meet Governor: Eknath Shinde and BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis meet Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari and stake claim to form the government.
– BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis and Eknath Shinde reach Raj Bhawan.
– Eknath Shinde met BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis at the latter’s residence, this evening.
– Eknath Shinde arrives at the residence of BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai.
– Maharashtra Shiv Sena MLA Eknath Shinde arrived at Mumbai airport from Goa.
– Maharashtra Congress leaders and MLAs met Uddhav Thackeray:
Maharashtra Congress leaders and MLAs met Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray at Matoshree in Mumbai today. He resigned as the Chief Minister of the state yesterday.
– MHA accords ‘Z category’ security to Eknath Shinde.
– Removing Uddhav Thackery was not our intention: Rebel Shiv Sena MLA Deepak Kesarkar
“Yesterday CM Uddhav Thackeray resigned. We didn’t indulge in any kind of celebration as removing him was not our intention. We are still in Shiv Sena and it is not our intention to hurt and disrespect Uddhav Thackeray said Rebel Shiv Sena MLA Deepak Kesarkar in Panaji, Goa.
– Eknath Shinde is headed to Mumbai: Eknath Shinde is headed to Mumbai. Fadnavis ji will also take a decision, said Eknath Shinde camp spokesperson Deepak Kesarkar.
– MLAs are still here in Goa but I am going to Mumbai today,” says rebel Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde.
– Eknath Shinde to head to Mumbai by 1 pm flight, no other MLA to accompany him. Meeting between Devendra Fadnavis and Shinde likely to happen today evening.
– No talk with BJP on ministries yet, says Shinde: “There has been no discussion with BJP about who and how many ministerial posts will be there, it will happen soon. Until then, please don’t believe the ministerial lists and rumours about it,” said Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde.
– BJP core group meet gets underway at Fadnavis’s bungalow: A meeting of the BJP core committee is underway at Sagar, the residence of former Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis. Maharashtra BJP in-charge CT Ravi, party leaders Chandrakant Patil, Girish Mahajan, Praveen Darekar and others are present.
– “I will be going to the Enforcement Directorate (ED) office tomorrow,” says Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut: ED had sent a second summon to Raut, asking him to appear before them on July 1 in connection with the Patra Chawl land scam case.
– Maharashtra Assembly special session postponed, no Floor Test today: Maharashtra Assembly Secretary Rajendra Bhagwat has informed all state MLAs that as per the Governor’s orders the special session that was scheduled on Thursday will now not be convened.
– Shiv Sena is not born for power, power is born for Shiv Sena. This has always been Balasaheb Thackeray’s mantra. We will work and come to power on our own once again: Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut
– We got emotional yesterday when Uddhav Thackeray resigned as Chief Minister. Everyone has faith in Uddhav Thackeray; people of every caste and religion support him. Sonia Gandhi and Sharad Pawar trust him: Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut
– BJP core group to meet at 11 am: BJP’s core group in Maharashtra will meet at 11 am today before a key huddle with its coalition partner, the Shiv Sena rebel faction, around 1.30 pm.
– Rebel Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde to address the MLAs staying in Goa in a meeting that will be held before they leave for Mumbai: Deepak Kesarkar, spokesperson of the Eknath Shinde camp.
– All eyes on Raj Bhavan for next govt formation: A day after Uddhav Thackeray resigned as Maharashtra chief minister, all eyes are on Raj Bhavan to see when does Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari invite the BJP to form the next government in the state.
– Eknath Shinde likely to get Deputy CM’s post after forming govt with BJP: Rebel Eknath Shinde is likely to get the Deputy CM’s post after forming the government with the BJP.
-BJP to form govt on July 1.
– Eknath Shinde and rebels likely to stay in Goa till Governor invites Devendra Fadnavis to form government and prove his majority.
– We will tell you everything tomorrow: BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis on political developments in Maharashtra.
– Goa CM Pramod Sawant, rebel Shiv Sena MLAs reach Taj Hotel in Panaji.
– Uddhav Thackeray, sons visit temple after submitting resignation.
– Uddhav Thackeray submits resignation to Maharashtra Governor: Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari accepts Uddhav Thackeray’s resignation as Maharashtra Chief Minister. He had asked Uddhav to continue as CM until an alternate arrangement is made.
– Uddhav Thackeray reaches Raj Bhavan to submit his resignation.
– Uddhav Thackeray resigns: After the Supreme Court allowed the floor test of the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government in the state Assembly scheduled for June 30, Uddhav Thackeray went live on Facebook and announced his resignation.
– SC Allows Floor Test: In a setback to the Uddhav Thackeray-led Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government, the Supreme Court refused to stay Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari’s directive to hold a floor test in the state Assembly. The MVA government will now have to prove its majority in the Assembly at 11 am on Thursday. Read More
– Mumbai Police On Alert: As the Eknath Shinde group plans to reach Mumbai tomorrow, the Mumbai Police is on alert. Notices have been sent to NCP, Shiv Sena, Congress, BJP, SP leaders asking them to not give instigating statements or release objectionble posts. They have been warned of stringent action if situation deteriorates.