New Delhi: The Information and Broadcasting Ministry cracked its whip on several social media accounts and websites allegedly spreading anti-India news and other fake content. The Ministry on Thursday (January 20) ordered blocking of 35 YouTube channels, two Twitter accounts, two Instagram accounts, two websites and a Facebook account, said Joint Secretary Vikram Sahay.
He said the action was taken based on fresh intelligence inputs received by the Ministry.
“The common factor amongst all these accounts have been that they operate from Pakistan and spread fake anti-India news and other content,” news agency ANI quoted him as saying.
Earlier on December 20, the Ministry had ordered the blocking of YouTube channels and websites that were working to propagate “anti-India propaganda”. The ministry in coordination with intelligence agencies, tracked down 20 YouTube channels and two websites that were spreading fake news about sensitive issues related to India, a government release said.
The government said that the channels and websites belonged to “a coordinated disinformation network operating from Pakistan”. The channels were used to post divisive content on topics like Kashmir, Indian Army, minority communities in India, Ram Mandir, General Bipin Rawat, among others.