Kejriwal Resends Delhi Doorstep Ration Scheme File for Lieutenant Governor’s Nod

Kejriwal Resends Delhi Doorstep Ration Scheme File for Lieutenant Governor’s Nod Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal seeks LG's Nod for Free Ration delivery scheme and has sent the file on June 17, 2021. (Source: Arvind Kejriwal/ Twitter)

New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday once again sent a file of the doorstep ration delivery scheme to the office of Lieutenant Governor (LG) Anil Baijal, two weeks after its implementation was stalled by the Centre. 

Kejriwal informed the LG that all objections raised by the Centre have been rectified, and asked why the scheme was being stopped, even though the High Court has not put a stay on it. 

READ MORE: Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad Takes a dig at Kejriwal, Calls Delhi Ration Scheme ‘Jumla’

The scheme was scheduled to launch on June 7. In a press conference on June 6, Kejriwal had hit out at the Centre for stopping the scheme and asked why, despite writing to the Centre five times, it had been stalled. 

“Just two days before the ‘Doorstep Delivery of Ration‘ scheme’s implementation, the Central government stopped it. Even if legally, we don’t need the Centre’s permission to implement this scheme, and even if the Delhi government is fully capable of executing this, we got your approval not just once, but five times,” he said. 

He further said that several of the Centre’s objections had already been addressed in March, including the name of the scheme. The scheme was originally named the MMGGRY (Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana) but was later dropped following a notification on March 9 by the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs that said that subsidised foodgrains allocated for distribution under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) cannot be used for schemes under a different name.

READ ALSO: Delhi CM Kejriwal Slams Centre for Stopping Doorstep Ration Scheme

Regarding the HC’s stay, the Chief Minister informed that Centre said that this scheme is being halted because ration shopkeepers have filed a case in the Delhi High Court against it. 

“How can you scrap the scheme for this purpose? Ration shopkeepers had gone to the HC for a stay. The HC denied. When the HC did not grant a stay, how could you?” he said.

On June 7, BJP-led Central government asked the Delhi government to expeditiously implement the ‘One Nation One Ration Card’ programme. Law Minister added that the programme is already running in more than 30 states and UTs so far.

Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on June 11, severely criticised Arvind Kejriwal over his proposal of the Delhi Ration Scheme. Prasad called Kejriwal’s Delhi ration scheme a ‘jumla’ and added that Delhi government is under the control of the ‘ration mafia’.

(With inputs from ANI)

For the latest News, Breaking News, Top News, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and YouTube