New Delhi: Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar, who was hospitalised after contracting COVID-19 continues to be in the ICU ward. Dr Pratit Samdhani who is treating the 92-year-old singer told ANI that she will be kept under observation for 10-12 days. He further shared that apart from COVID, she is also suffering from pneumonia.
Dr Pratit Samdani, who is treating Lata Mangeshkar at Mumbai’s Breach Candy Hospital said, “She has both COVID-19 and pneumonia. Due to old age, it will take time to recover properly.”
Lata Mangeshkar, 92, was admitted to the ICU of Breach Candy Hospital after she tested positive for COVID-19 a few days ago. She got in touch with one of her staff members, who was also COVID-19 positive.
On Tuesday evening, the 92-year-old singer’s niece Rachna Shah confirmed that the she is ‘recovering’ and is ‘stable’. “Didi is admitted to ICU after she was diagnosed with COVID-19. Dr Pratik Samdani is treating her and he says that there is nothing serious but she needs to be kept in ICU for precautionary reasons seeing her age,” said Rachna.
The singer had been hospitalised in 2019 as well for a serious lung ailment and pneumonia.
Lata Mangeshkar who has a career spanning over seven decades has lent her voice to thousands of songs in over 1,000 Hindi films as well as in various regional and foreign languages.
Mangeshkar’s iconic songs include ‘Lag Jaa Gale’, ‘Yeh Galiyan Yeh Chaubara’, ‘Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya’, ‘Bahon Mein Chale Aao’, ‘Tere Liye’ from ‘Veer Zara’ and many more.
Apart from this, the singer is also recipient of honours including Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, Dada Saheb Phalke Award, and multiple National Film Awards. She also received India’s highest civilian honour Bharat Ratna in 2001. In 1974, the Guinness Book of Records ranked her as the most recorded artist in history.