New Delhi: The Farm Laws Repeal Bill, 2021 was passed in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha without discussion as the winter session of Parliament commenced on Monday. The bill was passed as soon as Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar tabled the bill in the two Houses. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had, on November 19, announced the repealing of the three Central farm laws on the day of Guru Nanak Jayanti. The bill was cleared by the Union Cabinet last week.
The winter session of Parliament began amid protests and sloganeering by Opposition, which demanded discussion on the repeal bill among other issues. Amid the uproar, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were both adjourned till 11 am on Tuesday. The winter session, which convened on Monday, is scheduled to conclude on December 23.
Here are the top updates from the Winter Session of Parliament:
– Rajya Sabha adjourned till tomorrow.
– “It is unfortunate that the farm laws were repealed without discussion. This government is scared of holding a discussion,” said Congress MP Rahul Gandhi.
– Lok Sabha has been adjourned till 11 am tommorrow amid ruckus.
– Rajya Sabha passed the Farm Laws Repeal Bill, 2021 without discussion.
– “Government is wrong in saying that there is never a discussion on repeal bills, therefore it will not allow discussion on repeal of farm laws bill,” said LoP in Rajya Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge.
– The bill to repeal the three farm laws will be brought in Rajya Sabha on Monday itself, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi said. He also urged the opposition to allow the passage of the bill without any “ruckus and disturbance” in the Upper House. “We want to give a message to the farmers across the country,” he said.
– Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 2 pm amid sloganeering by opposition parties on various issues, including those related to farmers. When the House reassembled at 12.19 pm, Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu said he has not accepted various notices given by opposition members for suspension of business and to take up their issues. Opposition members objected to this and started raising slogans.
– “We want that there should be a discussion on the Farm Laws Repeal Bill, 2021. But with the passing of this Bill in Lok Sabha in a haste, they (government) just want to prove that they are in the favour of farmers,” said Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge.
– The Government of India does not collect data on Bitcoin transactions. There is no proposal to recognise Bitcoin as a currency in the country, said Ministry of Finance Nirmala Sitharaman in a written reply in Lok Sabha.
– Lok Sabha passes the Farm Laws Repeal Bill, 2021 without discussion.
– The Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 12:19 pm. The proceedings were adjourned for an hour as a mark of respect to the passing away of sitting MP Oscar Fernandes. Soon after recently-elected MPs took the oath, Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu read out obituary references to the deaths of Fernandes as well as five other former members.
– The Lok Sabha on Monday adjourned for till 12 noon following sloganeering by the Opposition members seeking to raise seeking to raise various issues.
– Congress Interim President Sonia Gandhi and MP Rahul Gandhi arrive at the Parliament for the Winter Session today.
– Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a meeting with senior cabinet members, including Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Home Minister Amit Shah, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi were present at the meeting.
– Addressing the media ahead of the beginning of the winter session, the Prime Minister called for a constructive and productive winter session of the Parliament and said that there should be debate as well as peace. He said the government is ready to answer all questions during the winter session of the Parliament.
– Congress leaders held protests outside Parliament as they demanded the repeal of the three farm laws. The Congress has been demanding an immediate repeal of the three farm laws and will press for a law to legalise MSP for farmers, besides providing compensation to families of farmers who died during the year-long protests against the farm laws at Delhi borders.
– Earlier in the day, leaders of Opposition parties also attended the meeting called by the Leader of Kharge to “create a consensus” over the issues to be raised in the winter session of the Parliament commencing today.