New Delhi: Days after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s security breach in Punjab, the Supreme Court has agreed to set up an independent panel to probe the matter. As per the reports, the committee will be headed by a former Supreme Court judge.
The Supreme Court has asked the Centre and the Punjab government to put a hold on the ongoing investigations by panels that were appointed and said that detailed orders regarding the decision will be issued soon.
According to the reports, the panel will be headed by a retired Supreme Court judge, while Punjab DGP, IG NIA, and Registrar General Punjab will join the probe committee as members.
CJI NV Ramana said, “We are thinking of appointing a retired SC judge to head the inquiry committee. The committee, comprising DGP of Chandigarh, IG of NIA, the registrar general of Punjab and Haryana, and the additional DG of Punjab, can conduct the inquiry and file a report.”
The Prime Minister’s convoy was stranded on a flyover for 15-20 minutes due to a blockade by protesters in Punjab’s Ferozpur last week on Wednesday. The Union Home Ministry described the incident as a “major lapse” in PM’s security. PM Modi returned from the poll-bound state without attending any event, including the rally.
A massive controversy broke out after Prime Minister’s convoy was stopped in Ferozpur, Union minister and BJP leader Smriti Irani even accused the Congress government in the state of a “murderous conspiracy to kill the PM”.
Punjab Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi, however, denied there was any security lapse or political motive behind the incident and said that his government was ready for an inquiry.