New Delhi: The owner of a chemical factory died and 13 others were hospitalised following liquid chlorine gas leakage near Chithode in Tamil Nadu’s Erode district on Saturday, December 11. According to the police, Damodharan, the owner of Sridhar Chemicals, was attending to a blockage in the chlorine gas pipe on Saturday afternoon, when the gas reportedly leaked from the pipe.
According to police, Dhamodharan (43), running the liquid chlorine factory near Chitode in the district, collapsed and died on the spot after the leakage from a cylinder he was refilling.
More than 20 workers in the factory accidentally inhaled the fumes and 13 of them fell unconscious, the police said. On seeing this, the other workers went to the rescue and informed the police who, in turn, alerted the Fire and Rescue Services.
The firemen plugged the leak from the cylinder. All the suffocated workers were removed to hospital where doctors declared them to be out of danger, the police added. Minister of Housing and urban development had visited the injured in hospital and also the family of the deceased.
In a similar tragic incident in Vizag in May last year, 12 people were killed and around 585 people fell sick after inhaling styrene vapour leak. Due to the leakage, animals and plants in the vicinity were also affected.
(With Inputs from PTI)