After losing to Australia in the opener, the Indian women’s cricket team will eye its first win in CWG 2022 when it meets arch-rivals Pakistan at Edgbaston Cricket Ground on July 31.
The big-ticket clash will be a make-or-break situation for both sides as the Pakistan women’s cricket team lost to Barbados in its first match. A win will keep them in the medal hunt as the top two teams from each group will qualify for the semi-finals.
Here are the top players to watch out for ahead of the historic game.
- Left-handed opening batter of India
- Played 87 matches under her belt
- Mustered 2033 runs, 14 half-centuries
- Achieved a strike rate of 120
- Left-handed middle order batter
- A right arm off spinner
- Scored 520 runs in 61 T20Is
- Picked up 63 wickets in 61 T20Is
- Middle-order mainstay
- Only Indian woman to hit 100 in T20I cricket
- Awarded player of the tournament in ODIs and T20Is
- Kaur is 89 runs away from completing 2500 T20I runs
- Right-hand batter
- Right arm Offbreak bowling style
- Strike rate of 139 in the quickest format of the game
- Slow left-arm spinner
- Represented India in all three formats
- Picked up 45 wickets in 35 innings in T20Is
- Scalped 96 ODI wickets in 61 matches
- Left-handed batter
- Right-arm leg break bowler
- 11 half-centuries in T20Is
- Played 108 WODIs
- Scored 2,600+ runs in WODIs
- Vice-captain of Pakistan’s team
- Picked 100 T20I wickets
- Awarded Women’s Cricketer of the Year 2021
Bowlers Diana Baig and Fatima Sana also have the potential to disturb world-class batters with their steady line and length.
The two teams have played each other in T20 cricket 11 times. While India won nine matches securing the fourth rank, seventh-ranked Pakistan have won twice.
The last time two teams met in a T20 match was in 2018 ICC Women’s World Cup.