Al Jazeera Journalist Shireen Abu Akleh Laid To Rest Amid Clashes In Jerusalem

A funeral service was held on Friday afternoon at a Catholic church in Jerusalem's Old City before her body was taken to a nearby cemetery for burial.

Mourners carry the Palestinian flag-draped coffin of slain Al Jazeera veteran journalist Shireen Abu Akleh on the way to her final resting place, in east Jerusalem, Friday, May 13, 2022. (AP/PTI)

Jerusalem: Thousands of Palestinians attended the funeral on Friday in Jerusalem of an Al Jazeera journalist who witnesses say was shot dead by Israeli forces earlier this week while covering a military operation in the occupied West Bank.

A funeral service was held on Friday afternoon at a Catholic church in Jerusalem’s Old City before her body was taken to a nearby cemetery for burial. Large crowds attended amid a heightened Israeli police presence. Clashes were also reported as Israeli occupation forces beat crowds carrying the casket of Akleh.

Earlier, Qatar-based Al Jazeera said its managing director, Ahmad Alyafei, would travel to Jerusalem to attend the funeral.

The Israeli military said that its initial investigation showed that a heavy fire-fight was underway around 200 metres from where Shireen Abu Akleh was hit, but that it was unable to determine whether she was shot by Israeli forces or Palestinian militants.

Recent days have seen an outpouring of grief from across the Palestinian territories and the wider Arab world over the death of Shireen Abu Akleh, a veteran on-air correspondent who spent a quarter century covering the harsh realities of life under Israeli military rule, which is well into its sixth decade with no end in sight.

Israel has called for a joint investigation with the Palestinian Authority and for it to hand over the bullet for forensic analysis to determine who fired the fatal round.

The PA has refused, saying it will conduct its own investigation and take the case to the International Criminal Court, which is already investigating possible Israeli war crimes.

In a statement issued on Friday, the military said the Palestinian gunmen were firing recklessly and repeatedly at an Israeli military vehicle near where Abu Akleh was shot.

It said Israeli forces returned fire, and that without doing ballistic analysis it cannot determine who was responsible.

“The conclusion of the interim investigation is that it is not possible to determine the source of the fire that hit and killed the reporter,” the military said.

Reporters who were with Abu Akleh, including one who was shot and wounded, said there were no clashes or militants in the immediate area when she was killed early Wednesday.

All of them were wearing protective equipment that clearly identified them as reporters.

Either side is likely to cast doubt on any conclusions reached by the other, and there did not appear to be any possibility of a third party carrying out an independent probe.

The PA and Al Jazeera accused Israel of deliberately killing Abu Akleh within hours of her death. Israel says a full investigation is needed before any conclusions can be drawn as to whether the fatal shot was fired by its forces or Palestinian militants.

Rights groups say Israel rarely follows through on investigations into the killing of Palestinians by its security forces and hands down lenient punishments on the rare occasions when it does.

Abu Akleh, 51, had joined Al Jazeera’s Arabic-language service in 1997 and rose to prominence covering the second Palestinian intifada, or the uprising against the Israeli rule, in the early 2000s. The veteran reporter was a widely respected member of the local press corps.

She was shot in the head early on Wednesday while covering an Israeli arrest raid in the West Bank town of Jenin.

Palestinians from in and around Jenin have carried out a series of deadly attacks inside Israel in recent weeks, and Israel has launched near daily arrest raids in the area, often igniting gun-battles with militants.

Israeli troops pushed into Jenin again early on Friday. An Associated Press photographer heard heavy gunfire and explosions, and said Israeli troops had surrounded a home.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said 11 Palestinians were hospitalised after being wounded in the fighting, including one who was shot in the stomach. The Israeli military tweeted that Palestinians opened fire when its forces went in to arrest suspected militants.

Israel captured the West Bank and east Jerusalem — including the Old City and its holy sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims in the 1967 war.

The Palestinians want both territories as part of their future state. Israel annexed east Jerusalem in a move not recognised internationally and views the entire city as its capital.

Police went to Abu Akleh’s family home in Jerusalem the day she was killed and have shown up at other mourning events in the city to remove Palestinian flags. Tensions are running high ahead of the funeral.