Geneva: World Health Organisation (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned the world on Thursday about the ‘early stages’ of COVID-19 third wave amid surge of the Delta variant.
“Unfortunately, we are now in the early stages of a third wave”, he said.
On July 14, the head of WHO had said that the spread of the Delta variant is driving an increase in both deaths and case numbers across the globe.
Recalling the decline in Coronavirus cases and deaths that was being driven, in recent months, by increasing COVID-19 vaccination rates in Europe and North America, he sounded alarms over the fresh reversal of that positive trend, reported UN News.
Furthermore, Tedros said that the novel virus is continuing to evolve, resulting in more transmissible variants.
“The Delta variant is now in more than 111 countries and we expect it to soon be the dominant COVID-19 strain circulating worldwide if it isn’t already,” he said.
Last week marked the fourth back-to-back week of rising COVID-19 cases across the globe, with increases reported in all but one of WHO’s six regions. Number of deaths are also on the rise again, after 10 weeks of constant decline.
Tedros then went on to draw the Emergency Committee on COVID-19’s attention to the ongoing “shocking disparity” in the distribution of vaccines on the global scale, reported UN News.
He also expressed his concern about how inequity has created a two-track pandemic – namely, one track for countries with the greatest access to vaccines, who are lifting restrictions and reopening their societies, and a second track for those without vaccines access who are left “at the mercy of the virus.”
Many nations still have not received any vaccines against COVID-19, and most have not received enough.