×

World

Former US President Trump Announces Lawsuit Against FB, Twitter, Google

Former President Donald Trump announced a class-action lawsuit against three of the country's biggest tech companies: Facebook, Twitter and Google.

Donald Trump
Former US President Donald Trump. (Courtesy: Facebook Account of Donald Trump)

Washington DC: Former US President Donald Trump has announced a lawsuit against Facebook, Google, and Twitter and their CEOs, Mark Zuckerberg, Sundar Pichai and Jack Dorsey.

“In conjunction with the America First Policy Institute, I’m filing as the lead class action representative, a major class-action lawsuit against the big tech giants including Facebook, Google and Twitter, as well as their CEOs,” Trump said at a news conference in New Jersey, as quoted by Fox News.

“There is no better evidence that big tech is out of control than the fact that they banned the sitting president of the United States earlier this year,” he added.

Trump is banned from Twitter and is barred from Facebook for the next two years following the January 6 Capitol riots, in which the social media giants stated that Trump contributed to the violence.

Trump was suspended from Twitter and Facebook after his followers stormed the Capitol building on Jan 6, with the companies citing concerns that he would incite further violence. Currently, he can no longer post on either platform.

On January 6, a group of supporters of former US president Donald Trump entered the Capitol to protest lawmakers accepting electoral college votes from US states that Trump claimed were illegal and robbed him of election victory.

Meanwhile, Trump has maintained that these companies are unfairly censoring conservatives. The lawsuit will be filed in the Southern District of Florida, seeking “injunctive relief” against “shameful censorship of the American people,” he added.

Trump will serve as the lead plaintiff in the suit, claiming he has been wrongfully censored by the companies, according to a person familiar with the action. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to share details ahead of the announcement.

Nonetheless, Trump has continued to spread lies about the 2020 election, baselessly claiming that he won, even though state and local election officials, his own attorney general and numerous judges, including some he appointed, have said there is no evidence of the mass voter fraud he alleges.

(With inputs from ANI, PTI)