Jakarta: Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff Yudo Margono said on Thursday that the missing submarine KRI Nanggala-402 would have enough oxygen for 72 hours during a power blackout.
The submarine, with 53 people on board, lost contact in the waters north of Bali Island during a torpedo firing exercise in the early hours of Wednesday, with its last position at about 60 miles north of the tourist Island.
“We lost contact (with the submarine) yesterday (Wednesday) at 3 a.m., so it can last until 3 a.m. Saturday,” Margono told a televised press conference.
The press conference was also attended by military chief Hadi Tjahjanto, Minister of Defense Prabowo Subianto and National Police Chief Listyo Sigit Prabowo.
The Indonesia military said earlier on Thursday that it had detected underwater movement at 2.5 knots around the last location of the submarine.
“The contact then lost, so there is still not enough data to identify that it was a submarine,” said military spokesperson Achmad Riad.
A helicopter and two military vessels also found the oil spill and the smell of diesel fuel at several different locations, but it is not yet possible to conclude that this is submarine fuel, Riad added.
The authorities have deployed six military vessels and a helicopter to search in the last location of the submarine detected, including the underwater oceanographic vessel Rigel.
In addition, the Singapore Swift Rescue vessel is expected to arrive in Bali waters on Saturday to assist the search and rescue operation, while the Rescue Mega Bakti Malaysia ship will arrive next Monday.
Offers of assistance also came from the United States, Germany, France, Turkey, India, Russia, and Australia, added Riad.